And, 2017 has come to a close. It was a pretty big year for me – there were a lot of changes and adjustments in my external and internal environment. As I go into 2018, there are a few shifts I’m trying to make and I’d like to share them with you.
My intention this year is to cultivate quality. This applies to my work (school, business), my relationships (family and friends), and my experiences.
Near the end of the year, I had a realization that I was half-assing a lot of the work I was doing. I was just completing assignments to complete them, posting to check it off a list, and doing things because they’re listed in my planner. I would multitask constantly, never really focusing completely on the task at hand. I felt like I was always being pulled in five directions at once and it made me feel ungrounded and discontent.
So, I will increase my ability to focus and produce quality work/experiences. Focusing on the task in front of me – even with mundane things like showering or getting ready for school – will ground me in the moment, helping me to appreciate the present.
When creating my New Year’s goals (resolutions sounds too absolute and harsh), I kept this idea of cultivating quality in mind. Let’s go through each aspect of my life and how I implemented this idea, in case you’re thinking of doing something similar!
- Business: taking a look at my business, there are a lot of technical things I need to achieve. Aside from those, I’m applying the quality intention by taking more focused time and attention on writing blog posts and other posts, and advertising in a more intentional way for consultations and workshops. I will sit down and figure out precisely what I’m trying to convey, why, and how.
- Academics: near the end of the year, I realized I was just doing assignments to do them. I will be cultivating quality in my schoolwork this semester/year by reminding myself of the why of each subject/assignment and putting more effort into learning throughout the semester so finals and AP exams aren’t as stressful.
- Physical health: the quality of my physical health has been waning, due to both some health issues and falling out of the practice of yoga. So, I will be taking more focused time each day/week to tend to physical health through Pilates, yoga, and walks.
- Mental health: this is something that often goes to the wayside for me. I need to cultivate quality in my mental health through journaling daily, meditating often, reading more, and multitasking less.
- Relationships: I often put hanging out with friends to the wayside in favor of work; but, this year I am making an intention of seeing my closest friends at least once per month outside of school, as well as spending quality time with family more often.
- Hobbies: I have quite a few hobbies, and they are all beneficial and I’d like to spend more quality time on them. I’ll continue growing in my calligraphy practice, as well as upping my writing time to a minimum of 60 minutes per week.
It seems like a lot to tackle, but I think I can do it. If I just keep my intention of cultivating quality in my daily actions, I’ll be satisfied. Quality work has always been something important to me, but I never thought to apply it to my relationships and experiences until now. With high school winding down this coming year, I want to experience as much as I can and have as much quality in those experiences as possible.
I can’t wait to see what’s in store for 2018. If you have some goals set up, I’d love for you to share them! If not, I can always help you in a free 20-minute consultation. 🙂
Hope you’re having a great start to your year!