What do you do when you have too much to do and too little time? Prioritize!
I have a very busy schedule – and sometimes, there’s just no way to get it all done. No matter how efficient, how focused, or how determined I am. So that’s when you have to prioritize.
I came up with an amazing strategy to make sure that you get done what’s most important, and that you are prepared and make the most of the time you do have.
I’ll break it down into easy steps:
1. Brain dump – write down EVERYTHING that you have to do. Just jot it all down on a piece of paper.
2. Estimate how much time each task will take to complete. Put it in a different color or in parentheses beside the task.
3. Make a color coding key – write down exactly when everything needs to be done by. Choose a different color for each day and highlight the tasks in those colors.
4. Mark the things you absolutely need to get done, or at the very least make progress on. I like to put a star by it in red.
5. Create a total estimated time that it would take to get everything done.
6. If the estimated time is over the time limit that you have, cross things off your list for that day. I like to draw an arrow to show that I’m pushing it to the next day.
7. Create a new list without the items you crossed off.
8. Estimate the amount of time the new list will take.
9. If it’s still too much, repeat steps 4-8.
10. Get working!!
Going through this process will relieve any overwhelm you have about what you need to get done, and will make everything much more manageable.
Try it out and let me know what you think!